Friday, July 22, 2011

Lady Lizzy Love


It’s funny how life is a full cycle.
In the fall of 1999, I was given a choice between the two dreaded “D” words – dog or divorce. While we joked about this, there was an underlying truth. Sir had always wanted a dog, and I had always said NO. Well, moving back to the States from London gave Sir the perfect opportunity to use it as a bargaining chip with Daughter #1 and Daughter #2. After months of trying to decide which “D” was more wanted, I made the decision, and headed to the local pottery-painting store in London to help the Daughters make food and water bowls for the unhatched dog that lied in my future.

Lady Lizzy Love was born on August 25, 2000—a beautiful black lab with big chocolate-brown eyes. There I was, riding home from the breeders in the front seat holding this tiny pup on my lap, while she was scared out of her mind, whimpering the whole way! I was scared too and passed her off to Daughter #1. What was I going to do with this little tiny thing? It was everyone’s dog, right? “I will feed her.” “I will walk her.” “I will pick up her toys.” Do I need to say more? In the end, we all know who takes care of the dog!

Lady touched each of our hearts in a different way. Sir was always the master; always the one she ran to when he walked in from work and always the one who she went to in the evenings to beg for a walk. Daughter #1 loved Lady truly and thoroughly; forever the big sister making sure we were treating her right, taking pictures, and begging to see her on Skype while away at school. Daughter #2 had an eleven year a love affair with Lady, growing up together. In the beginning Daughter #2 dressed Lady in doll clothes and in the end Lady was Daughter #2’s fierce protector.

Me? Well, it is hard to say. For seven years she was a lovely thorn in my side, but for the past four years she has been my lifesaver. When Sir moved to Chicago, she was my faithful companion. After my move to Chicago, Daughter #1 going to college and Daughter #2 becoming more independent – Lady was the one that got me out of bed each morning. She was the one who didn’t say, I don’t need you as much anymore.

So today, I was the one holding her when she left us. Lady will be truly missed.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Shelly,
I just cried as I read this blog, Lady was a wonderful, loving creature, and Carlin is turning into the same.
Lisa